Texas Counties Deliver – learn how county government serves you
Pop.140 Alt.185


Settled in 1824 by John P. Coles, one of Stephen f. Austin's 300 original families in Texas. First called Coles Settlement, the village name was changed in 1836 to commemorate independence of Texas from Mexico. The town square was laid out for the Washington County courthouse, but Brenham won a heated county seat election by two votes. On F.M. 50 a few miles north of Brenham.

Field of Bluebonnets

Antique Rose Emporium-

Nursery specializing in older classes of garden roses, many brought to the area by settlers, along with native plants, old-fashioned garden perennials and herbs planted in display gardens. Historic Hairston-McKnight homestead's restored stone kitchen is focal point of garden. Open Tues. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Sun. 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. On F.M. 50, just south of intersection with F.M. 390.

Cemetery -

Many notables are buried in this area including, Sam Houston, Jr., Moses Austin Bryan, the Hoxey family and veterans of all U.S. wars from the American Revolution through World War II.

Old Baylor Park -

On site of campus of Old Baylor University. Original home of John P. Coles relocated and restored here (open by appointment only). Modern picnic facilities and rest rooms make this place come alive!. One-half mile west on F.M. 390.

Ruins of Old Baylor University -

Birthplace of present Baylor University (Waco) and University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (Belton). Four large stone pillars mark original site of Baylor's administration and classroom building; other ruins of six acre original campus.

Sam Houston Homesite -

Marked with large granite marker, stands on F.M. 390 across from entrance to Old Baylor campus. Mrs. Houston's 1863 home stands one block east of old Baptist church on F.M. 390.

Scenic Drive -

F.M. 390 east and west from independence offers attractive scenery and exceptional vistas. Especially colorful around mid-April during bluebonnet season.

Texas Baptist Historical Center -

Historic Independence Baptist Church, organized in 1839, third oldest Baptist church in Texas, where Sam Houston was converted in 1854 and baptized by Dr. R. C. Burleson. Present building dating to pre-Civil-War days. Mrs. Sam Houston and her mother Nancy Moffette Lea, longtime members of the church, are buried within sound of the historic bell, just across the street from churchyard. Old records, family information and local travel information available at museum. Open We. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. At F.M. 390 / F.M. 50 junction.