Texas Counties Deliver – learn how county government serves you



Phone: (936) 327-6820 x 1
Fax: (936) 327-6867



8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Monday - Friday


As of January 9, 2024, the permit fee schedule has changed.  Please check out the new schedule below.


Please report all septic and gray water violations to the Polk County Permit Department

936-327-6820 ext. 1 / permits@co.polk.tx.us / COMPLAINT FORM 



If you are applying for a 911 Address only, please click on the 911 Address Only permit.  If you plan to place a structure on your property within two years, please choose the Residential Development, Septic, and 911 Address Permit below.





  • This permit establishes your new 9-1-1 address only.  If you reside in or own a residence or business in Polk County, in order for you to be found in the least amount of time in an emergency, a 9-1-1 physical address is assigned to your location.  You will also need a 9-1-1 address to obtain electric service for your site.  Each residence on a single parcel of land must have its own 9-1-1 address.

    • If you reside within the Corrigan City Limits, obtain your 9-1-1 address by calling Corrigan City Hall at 936-398-4126. 
    • If you reside within the Livingston City Limits, obtain your 9-1-1 address by calling Livingston City Hall at 936-327-4311. 

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

  • You must obtain a development permit before building or adding any man-made structure or adding onto an existing structure.  You will also need a residential development permit to obtain electric service for your structure.  An  Elevation Certificate (EC) is required when building in the floodplain before permits can be purchased.  This permit is good for two years from the date of purchase.

    • If you reside within the Corrigan City Limits, obtain your development permit by calling Corrigan City Hall at 936-398-4126. 
    • If you reside within the Livingston City Limits, obtain your development permit by calling Livingston City Hall at 936-327-4311.
    • If you reside within the Onalaska City Limits, obtain your development permit by calling Onalaska City Hall at 936-646-5376
    • If you reside within the Goodrich City Limits, obtain your development permit by calling Goodrich City Hall at 936-365-2228.
    Is your property in the Floodplain?  To determine if your property may be in the 100-year floodplain, click on the following link to the https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search.  

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion


    Polk County enforces state standards for the installation or modification of an on-site septic system.  All on-site sewage facility plans must be submitted to the Permits Department for approval.  The OSSF permit fee is waived for the first residential structure if the tract/parcel is 10 acres or more.  An OSSF permit is required for each additional residential structure placed upon the same tract/parcel of land. 

    On-Site Sewage Facilities (Septic Systems): Information for Homeowners

    For general information related to the On-Site Sewage Facility program, please visit Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website at the link listed below.


    Aerobic System Maintenance Contract:

    Polk County has adopted an order regarding the maintenance of aerobic systems in accordance with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules.  Each system must be inspected no less than 3 times a year by a certified maintenance provider registered with TCEQ.   If you choose to maintain the system yourself, a training course is available.  Please call for details.  Aerobic system inspection reports are required on all aerobic systems.  There is an administrative fee of $15.00 per year, paid by the property owner and/or maintenance provider, for every aerobic on-site sewage facility within Polk County.





    Homeowners under contract with the County Permits Department to maintain their own systems must submit their contracts through the mail or in person with the annual $15.00 fee after taking the required class.  Triennial inspection reports can be faxed to (936) 327-6867 or emailed to permits@co.polk.tx.us.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion

    1. Question: What do I need to have in my home in order to be prepared for an emergency?

      Answer: A basic emergency supply kit which includes:

      • One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
      • At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
      • A battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries
      • Flashlight and extra batteries
      • First aid kit
      • A whistle to signal for help
      • Dust masks, to help filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
      • Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
      • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
      • Can opener (if kit contains canned food)
      • Local maps

        For additional information, visit www.ready.gov.

    2. Question:How does the Polk County Office of Emergency Management (OEM) provide information to the Public during an emergency or disaster?

      Answer:  Polk County OEM uses the following methods to distribute information to the public during an emergency or disaster:

    3. Question: Do I need to call someone before I dig on my property?

      Answer: Yes, there are many underground pipelines and utilities in Polk County, Texas.  Please call 8-1-1 before you dig.

    4. Question: When can I burn?

      Answer:  If you live in an unincorporated area of Polk County, please call 936-327-6826 x 0, to listen to the Polk County burn ban recorded message.  Orders preventing outdoor burning can be viewed on Polk County’s website at www.co.polk.tx.us and on the Emergency Management website at www.polkcountyoem.com

      If you live within an incorporated city, please call your local City Hall for information.

    5. Question:What can I burn?

      Answer:  Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 382.018 Outdoor Burning of Waste and Combustible Material States: (a) Subject to Section 352.082, Local Government Code, and except as provided by Subsections (b) and (d), the commission by rule may control and prohibit the outdoor burning of waste and combustible material and may include requirements concerning the particular method to be used to control or abate the emission of air contaminants resulting from that burning.

      (b): The commission by rule shall authorize outdoor burning if the waste consists of: grass, leaves, branch trimmings, or other plant growth.

      (2) (b) and is burned on the property on which it was generated and by the owner of the property or any other person authorized by the owner.

      The following items are not considered domestic waste and cannot be burned: Tires, construction debris, plywood, paneling, particle board, furniture, carpet, carpet padding, insulation, insulation on electrical wire, cable, asphalt products such as shingles, plastics, heavy oils, paints and varnishes, potentially explosive materials such as aerosol cans, electronic devices, chemical wastes, or items containing natural or synthetic rubber, vinyl flooring or siding, Freon’s and/or refrigerants.

      If you are unclear about whether or not you can burn a particular item or items, please contact the Polk County Environmental Office at 936-327-6820 ext. 2.

    6. Question: When Polk County enacts a burn ban, can I still burn my trash in a burn barrel?

      Answer: When Polk County enacts a burn ban, the order preventing outdoor burning states whether or not residents may burn in a burn barrel.  When an order gives residents authorization to burn in a burn barrel, it requires that a metal grate with openings no greater than ¼ inch be placed on top of the burn barrel to contain sparks.

    7. Question: How can I find out if my property is in the floodplain?

      Answer:  Although the floodplain map can be viewed on the Floodplain Page of this website, please call 936-327-6820 ext. 1 and ask to speak to the Polk County Floodplain Administrator to accurately determine if your property is in the floodplain.  An Elevation Certificate and permit is required if building in the floodplain.

      FEMA Flood Map Service Center: Search By Address

      This tool tells you if your home is in a flood zone!

    8. Question: Do I have to install an aerobic system?

      Answer: A site and soil evaluation will determine what type of system must go into your soil.  You must have a site and soil evaluation prepared by a Site & Soil Evaluator, Registered Sanitarian, or Professional Engineer licensed by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).  The evaluation must be reviewed by the Designated Representative of Polk County before the system is installed and the system must be inspected again before it is covered up.

    9. Question: Do I need an On Site Septic Facility (OSSF) Permit?

      Answer:  If you are the first home on a single deeded tract of land 10 acres or larger, you do not have to purchase an OSSF permit, but you are still required to install a septic system that meets or exceeds minimum state standards and file a 10 Acre Exemption Form.  An OSSF permit is required for each additional home placed on the tract of land.  If you have less than 10 acres, you must always purchase an OSSF permit before installing a septic system.

      If your property is within 2,000 feet of Lake Livingston call the Trinity River Authority at 936-365-2292 for an on-site septic permit.

    10. Question: How much land is required to install a septic system?

      Answer: A minimum of ½ acre is required per septic system where central water is provided.  A minimum of 1 acre is required per septic system where there is a private water well on the property.

    11. Question: Do I need a permit for a water well?

      Answer: Effective January 9, 2009, all potential water wells drilled in Polk County must have a registration permit prior to the drilling of the well.  Contact the Lower Trinity Groundwater Conservation District at 936-327-9531 regarding the process.  Forms are available at www.ltgcd.org.

    12. Question: Do I need a permit to get a 9-1-1 Address?

      Answer:  If there is an existing structure on your property, it may have a 9-1-1 address.  Call the Polk County 9-1-1 Addressing Department at 936-327-6826 to determine if your property has an address.  If not, a permit is required to establish a new 9-1-1 physical address.

    Polk County does not address within the city limits of Livingston and Corrigan.

Press the enter key or spacebar to expand or collapse the accordion